Andy McKeon is managing director of health at the Audit Commission.
More thought and action is required to improve
History warns us that reconfiguration is not the panacea it’s cracked up to be, says Andy McKeon.
Commissioning has to overcome some stiff challenges if it is to enjoy many more birthdays, says Andy McKeon.
Let’s be honest, speculation is fun. Nobody can prove you right or wrong at the time, people forget what you said, and you can hedge your bets on what the future will hold. It is also more interesting to look at the gloomy version – what fun is there to be had if all you can see is the broad sunlit uplands.
In the second of two articles on savings, Andy McKeon and Nigel Edwards look at powering organisational strategies to achieve real cost-savings and avoid disappointing results.
Savings strategies can have hidden costs, without due attention given to the potential risks and conditions needed to ensure they can work. Andy McKeon and Nigel Edwards begin a two part series on rethinking clinical services.
The NHS Commissioning Board’s greatest influence on quality will be through how it splashes its cash
Last week’s white paper poses many more questions than it answers about how GPs and providers will manage their new freedom. The solution, says Andy McKeon, is to find the right balance between independence and accountability
Mental health services are providing the NHS with clear examples of quality and productivity projects that have significant outcomes, says Andy McKeon
You are responsible for a £110bn budget and the health of the nation, but with an average of only two years in the job there is no time to lose. Andy McKeon describes what you should expect in your first days as secretary of state for health
- Andy McKeon: why money could not unravel the NHS red tape
- Andy McKeon: NHS cash alone won’t end health inequalities
- Andy McKeon on NHS efficiency and pre-election sparring
- Andy McKeon: saving £15bn-£20bn will be no summer holiday
- Andy McKeon: 'Prepare to step back to the 80s'
- Andy McKeon on the economics of better care
- Andy McKeon on the good news about NHS finances
- Partnership working: taking targets a la carte
- Heed the lessons and go up a class