Stephen O’Brien’s background and voting record
Stephen O’Brien was first elected MP for Eddisbury in 1999.
He has been a shadow minister for health since 2005.
- Voted for an amendment to reduce the upper limit for abortions from 24 week to 22 weeks
- Voted for an amendment to strengthen laws to make IVF clinics consider the ‘need for a father and a mother’ before allowing women to begin fertility treatment
- Voted for an amendment against the relaxation of laws governing the circumstances in which children genetically matched to a sibling with a genetic disease can be generated by IVF
- Did not vote on a backbench amendment calling for a ban on all hybrid embryos
- Voted for an amendment to remove references to foundation hospitals from the health and social care bill
- Did not vote on an amendment opposing the creation of foundation hospitals