The care home at the centre of allegations of abuse of vulnerable adult patients revealed on television is to close on Friday, its owners have said.
Castlebeck said it had “voluntarily relinquished the hospital registration” of Winterbourne View, near Bristol, where 13 members of staff have been suspended after a BBC Panorama investigation last month.
In a short statement, the County Durham-based firm said: “The hospital will effectively close this Friday (June 24), when the last patients are transferred to alternative services.
“Castlebeck has been working closely with families and carers, commissioners and other professionals from the NHS and social services to ensure patients are safely transferred with minimum disruption to their lives.”
Avon and Somerset Police have arrested and bailed eight men and three women in connection with the case.
The review comes after the BBC current affairs programme broadcast undercover footage of the apparent misconduct at the Hospital in Hambrook, South Gloucestershire, which appeared to show vulnerable residents being pinned down, slapped, doused in water and taunted.
South Gloucestershire Council has launched a serious case review and said it would be examining “the effectiveness of the safeguarding system and processes” at Winterbourne View hospital.
Earlier this month, the Government said a full independent inquiry into what happened at the hospital had not been ruled out.
Last Friday two nurses who worked at the residential hospital were suspended from practising by the Nursing and Midwifery Council. The registrations of Sookalingum Appoo and Kelvin Fore, had been withdrawn pending a full investigation into allegations of serious breaches of its code of conduct, the NMC said.
Jack Lopresti, the area’s Conservative MP, told the BBC he had met Lee Reed, the chief executive of Castlebeck, earlier today.
“Mr Reed gave me his assurances that the closure of the hospital will be conducted in as sensitive a way as possible,” he said.
“I stand by my call for the hospital’s closure and I am pleased that Castlebeck have come to the same conclusion.
“Given the horrific events which have taken place at Winterbourne View I believe its future running is untenable.”
Winterbourne View is a privately run hospital which can provide care for up to 24 patients, employs around 50 staff and is funded by taxpayers.
Amanda Deeks, the chief executive of South Gloucestershire Council, said the authority had been working with Castlebeck over the last few weeks to manage the movement of patients to other care facilities ahead of Friday’s closure.
Only a “handful” remain at Winterbourne View, she said, adding that the council’s serious case review would go ahead despite the closure.
“Although this hospital will close, Castlebeck continues to run homes across the country,” she said.
“We shall continue to do our review whether Winterbourne View is open or closed. It will be vigorous.”
The Care Quality Commission has issued an unreserved apology for failing to act on warnings by whistleblower Terry Bryan about abuse at the home.
Mr Bryan, a senior nurse, is reported to have started work at Winterbourne View last August.
He became concerned about the standard of care and complained to the home’s managers in a four-page email in October, but when they failed to address his concerns he resigned.