This week, HSJ reported that a London hospital trust has been granted a £36m contract to run community services in London for two years, after the incumbent provider said it would not bid for a renewed contract.
Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals Trust has been announced as the winner of the contract in Sutton, on the London-Surrey border.
Here we look at the organisations shortlisted for their innovative work in Acute, Community and/or Primary Care Services Redesign at the 2017 HSJ Awards.
HSJ Solutions is the largest database of validated best practice in the NHS. Here you will find workable and evidence based solutions to everyday challenges facing the NHS.
- Taunton and Somerset Foundation Trust: Developed paediatric clinics in a primary care setting, allowing GPs to learn and treat common paediatric conditions
- Barnsley Healthcare Federation: Launched the i-Heart service, providing patients with access to GP and nurse appointments during evenings and weekends 365 days a year
- Berkshire West Federated CCGs: Redesigned its spinal service to provide better care for people with chronic pain, reducing waiting time
- eConsult: Introduced a digital platform, allowing GPs to remotely triage and signpost patients to appropriate care pathways, saving £850,000 in 2016
- Macmillan Cancer Improvement Partnership: Undertook initiatives to improve cancer care services and to enable early diagnosis of cancer, avoiding an estimated 700,000 emergency admissions
- North Cumbria University Hospitals Trust: Developed an integrated frailty pathway to identify frail patients and provide them with timely care, saving 2,467 bed days
- Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Partnership Trust and Univeristy Hospitals of North Midlands Trust: Launched a project to provide coordinated care for high intensity service users, achieving 75 per cent reduction in bed usage
- The Princess Alexandra Hospital Trust: Introduced a patient at home service to treat acute patients at home instead of being admitted to hospital
- University College London Hospitals FT: Introduced a team to improve the care of patients experiencing chronic pain, saving at least £500,000 per year
- Yorkshire and Humber Academic Health Science Network: Developed a new care pathway to help GPs distinguish between Irritable bowel syndrome and Inflammatory bowel disease, resulting in 40-57 per cent reduction in new hospital out-patient appointments.
- Academic health science networks (AHSNs)
- Community services
- EPSOM AND ST HELIER UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- Integrated care
- Macmillan Cancer Support
- NORTH CUMBRIA ACUTE HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Partnership NHS Trust
- TAUNTON AND SOMERSET NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- THE PRINCESS ALEXANDRA HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- UNIVERSITY COLLEGE LONDON HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS OF NORTH MIDLANDS NHS TRUST
Hospital trust taking over community contract after specialist drops out
- Currently reading
Ten innovators in care redesign and integration