PERFORMANCE: The south east London commissioning cluster has called on Guy’s and St Thomas’ to increase cover on its maternity wards.
The cluster’s quality and safety committee said it had “concern” at the level of cover and unreported serious incidents.
The mintues of the September meeting said: “Concern was expressed at the lack of cover on maternity wards and strongly recommends that maternity care should be prioritised.
It added; “Jane Fryer [medical director] will lead a meeting with the NHS Foundation Trust to discuss various issues including maternity and unreported serious incidents.”
The report said the key points for the trust were:
- Mortality rates are lower than the national average
- Patient surveys are better than many other London Trusts
- Concernsover two Never Events occurring, ie wrong site surgery
- Concerns over high levels of HCAIs particularly Costridium Difficile although they are reducing
- No standardised reporting cycle for complaints
- A report on Child and Adult safeguarding will be presented to this committee in December.
Quality and Safety committee minutes (see attached, right)