Mark Simmonds’ background and voting record
Mark Simmonds was first elected MP for Boston and Skegness in 2001.
In July 2007 he became shadow minister for health. His responsibilities include healthcare commissioning, cancer, NHS information and the relationship with NICE.
- Voted for an amendment to reduce the upper limit for abortions from 24 week to 22 weeks
- Voted for an amendment to strengthen laws to make IVF clinics consider the ‘need for a father and a mother’ before allowing women to begin fertility treatment
- Voted against an amendment against the relaxation of laws governing the circumstances in which children genetically matched to a sibling with a genetic disease can be generated by IVF
- Voted against a backbench amendment calling for a ban on all hybrid embryos
- Voted for an amendment to remove references to foundation hospitals from the health and social care bill
- Did not vote on an amendment opposing the creation of foundation hospitals