- PwC and Optum to work with four West Midlands STPs to “accelerate” plans to create integrated care systems
- The Black Country and West Birmingham; Birmingham and Solihull; Coventry and Warwickshire; and Herefordshire and Worcestershire will work with the providers for three months
Two management consultancies have been commissioned to help four STPs in the West Midlands “accelerate” their integration plans, HSJ has learned.
The Department of Health and Social Care and NHS England have hired PwC and Optum to work with four sustainability and transformation partnerships in the West Midlands to “help progression towards integrated care systems.”
PwC and Optum will be working with: The Black Country and West Birmingham; Birmingham and Solihull; Coventry and Warwickshire; and Herefordshire and Worcestershire STPs, over the next three months.
The news comes after NHS England said in May this year it would support four new STPs to create integrated care systems. These were: Gloucestershire; Suffolk and North-East Essex; North and East Cumbria; and West Yorkshire and Harrogate.
In 2017, the national commissioner announced that 10 STPs had been chosen as wave one ICS’ to work in “shadow form” during 2017-18.
According to a board paper, published this month by The Royal Wolverhampton Trust: “The Department of Health and Social Care have engaged Price Waterhouse Coopers and Optum to carry out some organisational development work with STPs to help progression towards Integrated Care Systems.”
The Royal Wolverhampton Trust sits within the Black Country area but subsequently confirmed to HSJ that PwC and Optum will also be working with the three other West Midlands STPs.
Dr Helen Hibbs, senior responsible office for the Black Country and West Birmingham STP: “We are one of a small number of STPs who will work with specialists to accelerate improvements for our local communities. This will include drawing on national and international expertise on strategy, planning and governance over a 12 week period.”
HSJ asked the DHSC to confirm the total contract value for the work awarded to PwC and Optum, however did not receive a response.
Board papers and information given to HSJ
- BLACK COUNTRY PARTNERSHIP NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- Community services
- Coventry and Warwickshire
- Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC)
- Integrated care
- NHS Birmingham and Solihull CCG
- NHS England (Commissioning Board)
- NHS Herefordshire CCG
- NHS Sandwell and West Birmingham CCG
- NHS South Worcestershire CCG
- NHS Wolverhampton CCG
- Policy and regulation
- Sustainability and transformation plans (STPs)
- THE ROYAL WOLVERHAMPTON HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- West Midlands
- WORCESTERSHIRE ACUTE HOSPITALS NHS TRUST