- Health and Social Care in Northern Ireland – winner
- Macmillan Cancer Support – highly commended
- Blackburn with Darwen Clinical Commissioning Group
- Camden clinical commissioning group
- Central Southern Commissioning Support Unit
- Health and Social Care Information Centre
- Integrated Care 24
- Kent County Council
- Portsmouth Hospitals Trust with Newton Europe
- Tower Hamlets Clinical Commissioning Group
- Wigan Borough Clinical Commissioning Group
Health and Social Care in Northern Ireland: Northern Ireland electronic care record
The judges were impressed with the country’s pragmatic approach to solving the problem of information sharing. They praised the way clinicians in all care settings were able to access a range of information about patient care from different providers.
A clinically-led regional collaboration led to the creation of a portal-based electronic care record for all 1.8 million people in Northern Ireland.
The system allows staff to see key information about a patient from multiple systems across the country. It means such valuable data is no longer trapped in individual hospitals and organisations, and improves the quality and efficiency of care.
It integrates more than 70 million messages from sources spread through acute, community, primary and social care sources. More than half of these have been added since the system went live.
The establishment of robust security, audit and information governance plans means the system safely distributes data. Access is determined by role, and security processes are in place.
More than 10,000 people are using the system, and in excess of 1 million visits have been made to its data. More than one in eight people in Northern Ireland has benefitted from it.
One consultant in Belfast described the system as “the single-most useful IT advance in healthcare”.
Other finalists’ programmes:
- Macmillan Cancer Support – Routes from diagnosis
- Blackburn with Darwen Clinical Commissioning Group – Data sharing collaboration for out-of-hours care
- Camden clinical commissioning group – Camden integrated digital record
- Central Southern Commissioning Support Unit – Making integrated care records a reality
- Health and Social Care Information Centre – Summary care records programme: benefits in hospital pharmacy
- Integrated Care 24 – ShareMyCare
- Kent County Council – Using whole population linked datasets to develop higher value models of care
- Portsmouth Hospitals Trust with Newton Europe – Improved length of stay leads to £3m in annual savings
- Tower Hamlets Clinical Commissioning Group – Tower Hamlets integrated care Record New entry 1
- Wigan Borough Clinical Commissioning Group – Tell us once: an alternative approach