Sponsored by de Poel Clarity
- NHS Wales Shared Services Partnership – winner
- Oxleas Foundation Trust – highly commended
- Health Education England
- Lancashire North Clinical Commissioning Group and University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay Foundation Trust
- NHS Scotland and Partners
- NHS Shared Business Services
- Rotherham, Doncaster and South Humber Foundation Trust
- Southern West Midlands Maternity and Newborn Network
- Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent Partnership Trust
- Virgin Care
NHS Wales Shared Services Partnership: Using technology to enable prudent healthcare for Wales
The judges described it as “a comprehensive project to drive the benefits from an existing technological solution”.
“Simplify, streamline and standardise” was the phrase that underpinned the methodology and approach of this project, which has delivered considerable efficiency savings that can be redirected into patient care.
The country-wide project encompassed three trusts, seven Health Boards and 84,000 employees, and set out a raft of initiatives.
This included replacing paper based processes with electronic automated systems; developing a suite of 10 standardised NHS Wales e-learning modules for statutory and mandatory topics to replace 60; and maximising the potential of ‘bring your own devices’ to work.
Other success criteria included avoidance of repeat induction and statutory and mandatory training for 5,000 clinical, medical and administration staff when moving between NHS Wales organisations, saving an estimated £5 million in productive time.
Similar savings were estimated from significantly reducing occupational health clearance times.
This reorientation of the way NHS Wales organisations operate with respect to learning, development, assurance and workforce processes has resulted in improved performance, productivity and efficiencies.
The project also involved creating a costing model in partnership with Swansea University, which can be used to measure the efficiencies of technology in a healthcare setting.
Other finalists’ programmes:
- Oxleas Foundation Trust – Clinician’s task list
- Bupa – Bupa COPD virtual ward
- Health Education England – Oriel
- Lancashire North Clinical Commissioning Group and University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay Foundation Trust – Advice and guidance
- NHS Scotland and Partners – National MSK redesign
- NHS Shared Business Services – Integrated single financial environment for NHS England and English health commissioning organisations
- Rotherham, Doncaster and South Humber Foundation Trust – The use of multi-disciplinary technology to aid a rapid and accurate diagnosis of dementia
- Southern West Midlands Maternity and Newborn Network – Parent information mobile phone app for the Southern West Midlands Maternity and Newborn Network
- Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent Partnership Trust – Clinical tissue viability
- Virgin Care – Community nursing mobile working CMS project