Sponsored by Sustainable Development Unit
- Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh Foundation Trust - Winner
- The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals Foundation Trust - Highly commended
- Walsall Clinical Commissioning Group - Highly commended
- Arden Commissioning Support and The Young Foundation
- Barts Health Trust
- Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health Foundation Trust
- Centre for Sustainable Healthcare
- NHS Blood and Transplant
Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh Foundation Trust: WWL Social Responsibility Group
The judges praised the involvement of service users and the wider community in the project, describing it as “a refreshing approach aiming to create a social movement for environmental and social change with a clear impact on reducing inequalities”.
A social responsibility group set up by Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh Foundation Trust’s director of finance has driven extensive progress in environmental and social responsibility.
The group includes nurses, governors, facilities managers and communication staff among others. Patients and the public are also engaged in various projects to ensure their voices are heard.
The Trust set a vision of being a “strong, stable backbone of the community”, using its position of influence to increase the wellbeing of society.
Outcomes from the social responsibility group’s work have included installation of LED lighting, saving 300,000 kW hours of electricity per year. A dilapidated 1970s building has been redeveloped into a patient-centred facility. Three electric car charging points have been installed on hospital sites.
Free Wi-Fi has been provided to improve patient experience and promote well-being via a mandatory landing site. A fund raising committee raised more than £15,000 to convert an unused storage space into a multi-sensory play area for young patients.
Other finalists’ projects:
- The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals Foundation Trust – OHPAT: Care closer to home
- Walsall Clinical Commissioning Group – A public value approach to commissioning
- Arden Commissioning Support and The Young Foundation – Building socially sustainable relationships
- Barts Health Trust – Sustainability at Barts Health
- Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health Foundation Trust – Sustainability is not a project and can‘t be ticked as done
- Centre for Sustainable Healthcare – The NHS Forest
- NHS Blood and Transplant – Carbon Management Plan