Chelsea and Westminster Foundation Trust – Dean Street PRIME
56 Dean Street, a sexual health service in central London, reaches more high risk gay men than any other UK clinic. Staff were aware that translated to a unique opportunity to reduce HIV transmission in this community.
Dean Street PRIME was developed to help realise this opportunity. A digital HIV risk reduction and lifestyle intervention, it’s specifically targeted at those gay men who are at extremely high risk of HIV. Men in this group are invited to join PRIME, which includes five digital programmes that detail specific risk reduction strategies and is optimised for use on mobile phones. A monthly text is sent which includes details of new content.
Since its launch in early 2016, more than 6,500 men have joined PRIME. Public Health England found that less than one per cent of PRIME users have been infected with HIV. It has also reported a 29 per cent drop in the number of London’s gay men testing HIV positive in 2015-16, following almost a decade of year-on-year increases.
Furthermore, HIV diagnoses at 56 Dean Street dropped by 81 per cent between 2015 and 2017.
User testimonials are powerful. “I’m not exaggerating when I say that PRIME has literally changed my life – if you could see my medical records before and after PRIME… It’s astonishing,” reads one.
“PRIME has permitted me to stay on top of my sexual health in ways that were not available to me before now,” says another user. “It not only assists with my physical health, but also tremendously with my mental wellbeing.”
- mHabitat, Leeds and York Partnership FT and Leeds Community Healthcare Trust – Let Me Show You: Improving transitions for young people with complex needs through technology – HIGHLY COMMENDED
- Airedale FT – Airedale Stammering Therapy
- Buckinghamshire Clinical Commissioning Group and Oviva – Improving patient digital participation in diabetes education
- KiActiv and Gloucestershire CCG – Improving diabetes self management using technology
- MedicSpot – Personalised digital healthcare from pharmacies
- North Staffordshire Combined Healthcare Trust – Autographer
- Surrey and Borders Partnership FT – Technology Integrated Health Management (TIHM) for dementia
- Weight Watchers UK in partnership with the London Borough of Bromley and Bromley CCG – Weight Watchers Diabetes Prevention Programme
- West Hertfordshire Hospitals Trust – iSeeU Baby
Winners of 2018 HSJ Awards revealed
- Currently reading
HSJ Awards 2018: Patient Digital Participation