Professor Jonathan Valabhji OBE, former National Clinical Director for Diabetes and Obesity
Jonathan is a globally renowned expert in diabetes and obesity whose drive to improve care has led to the successful establishment of the NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme, the NHS Digital Weight Management Programme, NHS Type 2 Path to Remission Programme and Type 1 Disordered Eating Programme. These have supported millions of patients and generated new evidence about lifestyle interventions on preventing poor health. The judges felt he is an inspirational leader who has implemented and rolled out impactful projects, with excellent use and interpretation of data to make a real difference. The way he engages colleagues, stakeholders and users is deeply moving.
Jonathan stepped down from the role of National Clinical Director for Diabetes and Obesity at the end of September, after more than a decade in the post, and is now Professor of Medicine at Imperial College London based at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital Foundation Trust campus.
Highly Commended: Lancashire Teaching Hospitals Foundation Trust - Dr Mohammed Munavvar, consultant respiratory physician and interventional pulmonologist
- Frimley Health FT: Andrew Barton, Nurse Consultant, IV Therapy and Vascular Access IVAS Lead Nurse
- The Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust: Dr Alex Simms, Consultant Cardiologist
- Shape PCN And Frimley ICB: Dr Bharan Kumar, GP Partner, Clinical Director
- West Hertfordshire Teaching Hospitals Trust: Dr Niall Keenan, Associate Medical Director for Innovation and Quality
- NHS England: Jules Gudgeon, National Digital Midwife Lead for Maternity Services
- Moorfields Eye Hospital: Louisa Wickham, Medical Director
- Cheshire And Merseyside ICS: Professor Rowan Pritchard Jones, Executive Medical Director
Winners of the 2023 HSJ Awards revealed
- Currently reading
HSJ Awards 2023: Clinical Leader of the Year