Dave West is HSJ chief reporter. His focus includes commissioning, particularly with NHS England and clinical commissioning groups, and on primary care reform. For HSJ Intelligence, he also covers the Yorkshire and the Humber and North East regions. In the past he has focused on acute care, quality, and informatics. He has been at HSJ since 2008, and in 2013 won the Medical Journalists' Association professional journalist of the year award. He has been nominated for awards for HSJ’s interactive clinical commissioning group map.Follow Dave West on Twitter @Davewwest
- Tel: 020 3033 2781
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Simon Stevens’ immense political capital means much of the power and influence in the commissioning system sits with him in the top spot. Were they allowed, the judges might have considered inventing a position above number one for him.
Patient choice is no longer fundamental to improving NHS performance, the health secretary has told HSJ
Jeremy Hunt has asked the prime minister to keep him in the health secretary post until 2017, claiming he ‘would be very happy if this is my life’s work’
- Government considering 'incentives' for trusts to sell land
- There are alternatives for clinical leaders
- Inspections must help answer primary care’s dilemmas
- Smaller GP practices fared worse under inspections, CQC finds
- Primary care 'in foothills' of modernisation, says NHS England director
- Bewick: Up-skilled GPs should support emergency and acute services
- Mapped: Candidates for health economy 'special measures'
GP practices in a significant minority of areas are forming groups with non-neighbouring practices. In some of those, data suggests one group is formed from better performing and/or less deprived practices.
Including the list of practices rated red on their PCT’s scorecard in more than a third of areas.
Two of Andrew Lansley’s big summer announcements have irked some in the NHS for a number of reasons, and they were both information publications of sorts.
- Off the hook on targets?
- Charting public health
- Hospital guides
- Health twits
- Personal health records continued
- Logging on early
- Mapping swine flu part two: The professionals