WINNER: Portsmouth Hospitals Trust – Modern Innovative Solutions to Improve Outcomes in Asthma, Breathlessness and COPD (MISSION ABC)
Portsmouth Hospitals Trust’s approach to managing patients with asthma, breathlessness and COPD, is improving clinical outcomes and reducing demand for unscheduled care.
The trust, working with Wessex Academic Health and Science Network and South East Hampshire Vanguard, used the practice registries at 10 large GP practices to identify at-risk patients, who were invited to attend rapid, one-stop “carousel” clinics at their GP surgery, but run by integrated primary and secondary care teams.
The 482 patients who attended had their diagnosis reviewed, lung function assessed, comorbidities identified, medication reviewed, and received advice on self management.
Disease control improved and there was a dramatic reduction in demand for unscheduled care in the next year.
- London North West University Healthcare Trust, Imperial College Healthcare Community Cardiology Team and Ealing Clinical Commissioning Group – ACU Heart Failure Lounge
- Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust – Integrated Multi-agency Prevention and Assessment of Crisis Team (IMPACT)
- Ashford and St Peter’s Hospitals Foundation Trust – Older People Short Stay Unit (OPSSU) and Acute OPSSU
- Harefield Hospital – Innovation to reduce readmission for surgical site infection
- Humber Teaching Foundation Trust – Frequent Attenders Service Hull
- Imperial College Health Partners, Patient Safety Measurement Unit and Hampshire Hospitals Foundation Trust – The Suspicion of Sepsis (SOS) Insights Dashboard – Evaluating Sepsis Improvement Programmes
- Salford Royal Foundation Trust (part of the Northern Care Alliance Group) – Senior palliative care team access seven days a week
- Spectrum Community Health CIC – Alcohol Liaison Service
- West Hertfordshire Hospitals Trust – Comprehensive Antimicrobial Stewardship Programme (CASP)
2019 HSJ Awards winners revealed
- Currently reading
HSJ Awards 2019: Acute sector innovation of the year