The Bristol care home at the centre of allegations of routine abuse of vulnerable adults with learning difficulties will close today (24 June).
Castlebeck, who run the home, said on Monday it had “voluntarily relinquished the hospital registration” of Winterbourne View where 13 members of staff have been suspended after a BBC Panorama investigation last month.
The firm added all patients have been transferred “safely” with “minimum disruption to their lives”.
The closure comes after the BBC current affairs programme broadcast undercover footage of the apparent misconduct at the hospital in Hambrook, South Gloucestershire, which appeared to show vulnerable residents being pinned down, slapped, doused in water and taunted.
County Durham-based Castlebeck said: “Castlebeck has been working closely with families and carers, commissioners and other professionals from the NHS and social services to ensure patients are safely transferred with minimum disruption to their lives.”
Avon and Somerset Police have arrested and bailed eight men and three women in connection with the case.
South Gloucestershire Council has launched a serious case review and said it would be examining “the effectiveness of the safeguarding system and processes” at Winterbourne View hospital.
Earlier this month, the government said a full independent inquiry into what happened at the hospital had not been ruled out.
Last Friday two nurses, Sookalingum Appoo and Kelvin Fore, who worked at the residential hospital were suspended from practising by the Nursing and Midwifery Council pending a full investigation into allegations of serious breaches of its code of conduct.
The Care Quality Commission has issued an unreserved apology for failing to act on warnings by whistleblower Terry Bryan about abuse at the home.