Three patients have died as a direct result of a C difficile outbreak at hospital in the South East.

East Sussex Hospitals trust has recorded 62 cases of the infection at Eastbourne District General Hospital since 1 January and has reviewed the histories of the affected patients.

The trust said on Tuesday that three patients had died as a direct result of being infected and it had contributed to a further 10 deaths.

The hospital closed to medical admissions on 6 March but re-opened four days later after several wards had been decontaminated.

A spokesperson for the trust said: “In the past at certain trusts people have died and it has all come out as a big revelation, so we are eager to be open about it.”

The trust said its C difficile rates of infection were lower than the national average.