HSJ approached the 29 pathology networks proposed by NHS Improvement to ask if local trusts had signed up. In most cases the proposed “hub” trust was able to answer on behalf of its network.
Trusts in three areas in the north are yet to confirm if they will form pathology networks as suggested by NHS Improvement.
Research by HSJ reveals senior chiefs in Manchester, Merseyside and the North East remain in discussions over whether to form the networks or pursue a different option.
One proposed network in east London is also yet to confirm its intentions, as is a network spanning parts of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.
In total, 12 networks have agreed with NHSI’s plans, while 12 networks either have different members, or are still waiting for confirmation from one or more trusts.
The list below gives the name of NHSI’s proposed networks, the proposed membership, and the networks’ responses to HSJ. It does not show which networks have agreed to NHSI’s “hub and spokes” model.
Networks agreed as proposed by NHSI
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital Foundation Trust, The Hillingdon Hospitals FT, Imperial College Healthcare Trust.
Guy’s and St Thomas’ FT, King’s College Hospital FT, Lewisham and Greenwich Trust.
Midlands and East 2
Chesterfield Royal Hospital FT, Derby Teaching Hospitals FT, Kettering General Hospital FT, Northampton General Hospital Trust, Nottingham University Hospitals Trust, Sherwood Forest Hospitals FT, University Hospitals of Leicester Trust.
Midlands and East 3
Heart of England FT, University Hospitals Birmingham FT.
Midlands and East 7
James Paget University Hospitals FT, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals FT, Queen Elizabeth Hospital King’s Lynn FT.
North Midlands 1
Barnsley Hospital FT, Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals FT, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals FT, Rotherham FT.
North Midlands 3
East Cheshire Trust, Mid Cheshire Hospitals FT, University Hospitals of North Midlands Trust.
Airedale FT, Bradford Teaching Hospitals FT, Calderdale and Huddersfield FT, Harrogate and District FT, Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust, Mid Yorkshire Hospitals Trust.
Plymouth Hospitals Trust, Royal Devon and Exeter FT, Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust, Northern Devon Healthcare Trust, Torbay and South Devon FT.
Taunton and Somerset FT, Yeovil District Hospital FT.
Gloucestershire Hospitals FT, North Bristol Trust, Royal United Hospitals Bath FT, University Hospitals Bristol FT, Weston Area Health Trust.
Dartford and Gravesham Trust, East Kent Hospitals University FT, Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells Trust, Medway FT.
Networks mooted by NHSI for which alternative plans have been proposed
London North West Healthcare Trust, North Middlesex University Hospital Trust, Royal Free London FT, The Whittington Hospital Trust, University College London Hospitals FT, West Hertfordshire Hospitals.
Network agreed - but excludes Whittington and West Hertfordshire trusts.
Croydon Health Services Trust, Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals FT, Kingston Hospital FT, St George’s University Hospitals FT.
Network agreed – but Epsom and St Helier not yet confirmed membership.
Midlands and East 1
Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals Trust. Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital Trust, The Dudley Group FT, Royal Wolverhampton Trust, Walsall Healthcare Trust.
Network agreed and business case drawn up – but Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital Trust not yet confirmed membership.
Midlands and East 4
Burton Hospitals FT, George Eliot Hospital Trust, South Warwickshire FT, University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire Trust, Worcestershire Acute Trust, Wye Valley Trust.
Network agreed – but Worcestershire and Wye Valley trusts yet to confirm membership.
Midlands and East 5
Bedford Hospital Trust, East and North Hertfordshire Trust, Luton and Dunstable University Hospital FT, Milton Keynes University Hospital FT.
Network agreed by Bedford and Luton and Dunstable trusts – but Milton Keynes and East and North Hertfordshire trusts are in other networks.
Midlands and East 6
Cambridge University Hospitals FT, Colchester University Hospital FT, Ipswich Hospital Trust, West Suffolk FT, North West Anglia FT.
Network split into two agreed networks (East and West). East comprises Colchester, Ipswich, and West Suffolk trusts, and West comprises Cambridge, North West Anglia, and East and North Hertfordshire trusts.
Midlands and East 8
Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals FT, Mid Essex Hospital Services Trust, Southend University Hospital FT, Princess Alexandra Hospital Trust.
Network agreed - but Princess Alexandra yet to confirm membership.
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals FT, East Lancashire Hospitals Trust, Lancashire Teaching Hospitals FT.
Network agreed – but includes University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay FT while East Lancashire Hospitals yet to confirm membership.
Buckinghamshire Healthcare Trust, Great Western Hospitals FT, Oxford University Hospitals FT.
Network agreed – but includes Milton Keynes University Hospital FT.
Ashford and St Peter’s Hospitals FT, Frimley Health FT, Hampshire Hospitals FT, Royal Berkshire FT, Royal Surrey County Hospital FT.
Network agreed – but excludes Hampshire Hospitals FT.
Dorset County Hospital FT, Isle of Wight Trust, Poole Hospital FT, Portsmouth Hospitals Trust, Salisbury FT, The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals FT, University Hospital Southampton FT.
Network agreed – but includes Hampshire Hospitals FT.
Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals Trust, East Sussex Healthcare Trust, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare Trust, Western Sussex Hospitals FT.
Network agreed between Brighton and Surrey and Sussex trusts who already work together, but East Sussex and Western Sussex trusts yet to confirm they will join the network.
Networks proposed by NHSI which have not been agreed and for which no alternative has been proposed:
Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals Trust, Barts Health Trust, Homerton University Hospital FT.
North Midlands 2
Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals Trust, Northern Lincolnshire and Goole FT, United Lincolnshire Hospitals Trust, York Teaching Hospital FT.
City Hospitals Sunderland FT, County Durham and Darlington FT, Gateshead Health FT, North Cumbria University Hospitals Trust, North Tees and Hartlepool FT, Northumbria Healthcare FT, South Tees Hospitals FT, South Tyneside FT, The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals FT, University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay FT.
Aintree University Hospital FT, Countess of Chester Hospital FT, Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals Trust, Southport and Ormskirk Hospital Trust, St Helens and Knowsley Hospital Services Trust, Warrington and Halton Hospitals FT, Wirral University Teaching Hospital FT.
Bolton FT, Manchester University FT, Pennine Acute Hospitals Trust, Salford Royal FT, Stockport FT, Tameside Hospital FT, Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh FT.
- List updated at 4.38pm on 28 February after North Midlands 2 network clarified its response. The network has not yet formally agreed to be established as planned by NHSI, and nothing has been finalised.
Information obtained by HSJ
- Acute care
- Acute care
- AINTREE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- AIREDALE NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- ASHFORD AND ST PETER'S HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- BARKING, HAVERING AND REDBRIDGE HOSP NHS TRUST
- BARNSLEY HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- BARTS HEALTH TRUST
- BASILDON AND THURROCK UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- BEDFORD HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- BLACKPOOL TEACHING HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- BOLTON NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- BRIGHTON AND SUSSEX UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- BUCKINGHAMSHIRE HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- BURTON HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- CALDERDALE AND HUDDERSFIELD NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- CHELSEA AND WESTMINSTER HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- Cheshire and Merseyside
- CHESTERFIELD ROYAL HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- CITY HOSPITALS SUNDERLAND NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- COLCHESTER HOSPITAL UNIVERSITY NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- COUNTESS OF CHESTER HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- COUNTY DURHAM AND DARLINGTON NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- Croydon Health Services NHS TRUST
- DARTFORD AND GRAVESHAM NHS TRUST
- DONCASTER AND BASSETLAW TEACHING HOSPITALS FOUNDATION TRUST
- DORSET COUNTY HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- EAST AND NORTH HERTFORDSHIRE NHS TRUST
- East Anglia
- EAST CHESHIRE NHS TRUST
- EAST KENT HOSPITALS UNIVERSITY NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- EAST LANCASHIRE HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- East Midlands
- East Midlands
- EAST SUSSEX HEALTHCARE NHS TRUST
- EPSOM AND ST HELIER UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- Finance and efficiency
- Foundation trusts
- FRIMLEY HEALTH NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- GATESHEAD HEALTH NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- GEORGE ELIOT HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- GLOUCESTERSHIRE HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- GREAT WESTERN HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- Greater Manchester
- GUY'S AND ST THOMAS' NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- HAMPSHIRE HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- HARROGATE AND DISTRICT NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- HOMERTON UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL NHS FT
- HULL AND EAST YORKSHIRE HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- IMPERIAL COLLEGE HEALTHCARE NHS TRUST
- IPSWICH HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- ISLE OF WIGHT NHS TRUST
- JAMES PAGET UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS NHS FT
- KETTERING GENERAL HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- KING'S COLLEGE HOSPITAL NHS FT
- KINGSTON HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- Lancashire and Cumbria
- LANCASHIRE TEACHING HOSPITALS NHS FT
- LEEDS TEACHING HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- LEWISHAM AND GREENWICH NHS TRUST
- LONDON NORTH WEST HEALTHCARE NHS TRUST
- Lord Carter
- LUTON AND DUNSTABLE HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- MAIDSTONE AND TUNBRIDGE WELLS NHS TRUST
- Manchester University Foundation Trust
- MEDWAY NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- MID CHESHIRE HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- MID ESSEX HOSPITAL SERVICES NHS TRUST
- MID YORKSHIRE HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- Midlands and East
- MILTON KEYNES HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- NHS Improvement
- NORFOLK AND NORWICH UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- NORTH BRISTOL NHS TRUST
- NORTH CUMBRIA ACUTE HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- North East
- North East
- North Kent
- NORTH MIDDLESEX UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- NORTH TEES AND HARTLEPOOL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- North West
- North West
- NORTH WEST ANGLIA
- NORTHAMPTON GENERAL HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- NORTHERN DEVON HEALTHCARE NHS TRUST
- NORTHERN LINCOLNSHIRE AND GOOLE HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- NORTHUMBRIA HEALTHCARE NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- NOTTINGHAM UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- OXFORD UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- PENNINE ACUTE HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- PLYMOUTH HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- POOLE HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- PORTSMOUTH HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- ROYAL BERKSHIRE NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- ROYAL CORNWALL HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- ROYAL DEVON AND EXETER NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- ROYAL FREE LONDON FOUNDATION TRUST
- ROYAL LIVERPOOL AND BROADGREEN UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- ROYAL SURREY COUNTY HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- ROYAL UNITED HOSPITAL BATH NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- SALFORD ROYAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- SALISBURY NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- SANDWELL AND WEST BIRMINGHAM HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- SHEFFIELD TEACHING HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- SHERWOOD FOREST HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- SHREWSBURY AND TELFORD HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- South Central
- South Central
- South East Coast
- South East Coast
- SOUTH TEES HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- SOUTH TYNESIDE NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- SOUTH WARWICKSHIRE NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- South West
- South West
- SOUTHEND UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- SOUTHPORT AND ORMSKIRK HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- ST GEORGE'S HEALTHCARE NHS TRUST
- ST HELENS AND KNOWSLEY HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- STOCKPORT NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- SURREY AND SUSSEX HEALTHCARE NHS TRUST
- TAMESIDE HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- TAUNTON AND SOMERSET NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- THE DUDLEY GROUP NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- THE HILLINGDON HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- THE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- THE PRINCESS ALEXANDRA HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- THE QUEEN ELIZABETH HOSPITAL KING'S LYNN NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- THE ROTHERHAM NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- THE ROYAL BOURNEMOUTH AND CHRISTCHURCH HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- THE ROYAL WOLVERHAMPTON HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- THE WHITTINGTON HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust
- UNITED LINCOLNSHIRE HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- UNIVERSITY COLLEGE LONDON HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL SOUTHAMPTON NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS BIRMINGHAM NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS BIRMINGHAM NHS FOUNDATION TRUST (formerly HEFT)
- UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS BRISTOL NHS TRUST
- UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS COVENTRY AND WARWICKSHIRE NHS TRUST
- UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS OF LEICESTER NHS TRUST
- UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS OF MORECAMBE BAY NHS TRUST
- UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS OF NORTH MIDLANDS NHS TRUST
- WALSALL HEALTHCARE NHS TRUST
- WARRINGTON AND HALTON FT
- WEST HERTFORDSHIRE HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- West Midlands
- West Midlands
- WEST SUFFOLK HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- WESTERN SUSSEX HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- WESTON AREA HEALTH NHS TRUST
- WIRRAL UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- WORCESTERSHIRE ACUTE HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- WRIGHTINGTON, WIGAN AND LEIGH NHS TRUST
- WYE VALLEY NHS TRUST
- YEOVIL DISTRICT HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- YORK TEACHING HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
NHSI pathology proposals agreed by less than half of trusts
- Currently reading
In full: Pathology network proposals