STRUCTURE: The acting chief executive of Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust has refuted suggested it is considering downgrading accident and emergency services at one of its sites.

In his weekly Friday message, Chris Adcock told staff that there were no plans to downgrade or close A&E at the Princess Royal Hospital in Haywards Heath, contrary to a report in the national press.

He said: “I…. want to mention a piece some of you may have seen in last week’s Mail on Sunday which suggested that the PRH A&E is ‘at risk of closure’.

“We did issue a statement to the Mail on Sunday categorically denying any plans to downgrade or close A&E at PRH and hopefully you will also have seen the piece in this Thursday’s Mid Sussex Times where we dismissed the story as complete nonsense.”