“Everything is essential, dynamic and the answer, until it is replaced by the next essential, dynamic answer.”
To: Don Wise
From: Paul Servant
Re: Heroic failure
I would like to wish you all a very happy new year. And I would like to wish an especially happy new year to your Friends and Family (if you have no friends and family please let a member of staff know at the beginning of your stay!).
This year is going to be another 12 months of once in a generational opportunity, another unique year of progress and change, another moment to be seized. Everything that has really counted before is to be replaced with what really counts now.
To help us through this year of unprecedented change, the NHS has the exciting and essential new structures of the Health and Social Care Act, which replace the previously essential structures of the last Health and Social Care Act.
You may not be sure how it’s going to work, not least because the leaders of the NHS, who are blessed (and therefore so are we) with continuity, say everything is essential, dynamic and the answer, until it is replaced by the next essential, dynamic answer.
To help you, I have prepared a quick guide:
- The PCT is now replaced by the CCG, the CSU and NHS Commissioning Board.
- The Overview and Scrutiny Committee is now replaced by the local Healthwatch and Health and Wellbeing Board.
- We will now be controlled by the Trust Development Authority, which will scrutinise our foundation trust application before passing it to Monitor to scrutinise and authorise our application, which will ask the CQC to scrutinise our application, and ask our CCG if it approves of our application.
- The CQC will continue (hurrah!) to monitor our quality and the GMC will now monitor the quality of our doctors.
- The DH has been replaced by the new DH and the commissioning board and Monitor and the TDA.
But please remember, none of that counts − friends and family know best.