The must read stories and talking points in the NHS
- Today’s must know: Hunt launches review after 450,000 breast screenings missed due to IT failure
- Today’s appointment: New CQC chief executive revealed
- Today’s talking point: ‘Advanced’ health system CCG forecasts unplanned deficit of £19m
- Today’s data: How are different health systems performing?
The new chief executive of the Care Quality Commission will be Ian Trenholm, the current chief executive of the NHS Blood and Transplant Authority.
Mr Trenholm will take up the role in July and replace Sir David Behan who is stepping down after six years at the regulator.
Mr Trenholm has worked at the NHS Blood and Transplant Authority since 2014 but started his career as an inspector with the Royal Hong Kong Police before moving to Surrey Police as a uniformed custody and patrol sergeant.
He has previously worked as chief operating officer at the Department for Environment, Farming and Rural Affairs and was chief executive of the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead.
Mr Trenholm said: “I am really pleased to be joining the CQC at a time of challenge for both health and social care. I look forward to working with the CQC team to build on the strong foundations already in place, creating innovative methods of assuring safe and effective care for all.”
Review into missed cancer screenings
More than 400,000 women missed their final routine breast cancer screening over nearly a decade because of an IT failure, Jeremy Hunt has said.
The health and social care secretary said in Parliament on Wednesday it was not known how many deaths were linked to the missed screening tests, but it was estimated between 135 and 270 women had their “lives shortened” as a result of the error.
Of patients affected by the failure, around 140,000 have since died but the remaining 309,000, now all over 70, were being contacted to be offered additional screening.
All of them will be offered a screening date before the end of October this year.
Mr Hunt said an independent review, chaired by Macmillan Cancer Support chief executive Lynda Thomas, would examine the harm caused, the nature of the failure and how it went undetected for so long.
A new security centre to defend the NHS from cyberattacks has been delayed for months after the Government Digital Service raised concerns, papers released to HSJ reveal.
The papers, released to HSJ under the Freedom of Information Act, were presented to a subcommittee of NHS Digital, the agency responsible for protecting the NHS from cyberattacks, late last year.
They also detailed a litany of concerns about the system’s ability to cope with another WannaCry style cyberattack. These include additional funding being rejected, difficulty attracting cybersecurity staff and “suboptimal” preparation among local NHS organisations.