PERFORMANCE: The trust has signed up to Mencap’s ‘getting it right’ charter, which sets out how hospital staff should ensure that patients with a learning disability experience a high standard of care that meets their needs.
By signing the charter the trust has pledged to:
- make sure that hospital passports are available and used
- make sure that all our staff understand and apply the principles of mental capacity laws
- appoint a learning disability liaison nurse in our hospital(s)
- make sure every eligible person with a learning disability can have an annual health check
- provide ongoing learning disability awarenesstraining for all staff
- listen to, respect and involve families and carers
- provide practical support and information to families and carers
- provide information that is accessible for people with a learning disability
- display the Getting it right principles for everyone to see.
The trust said it was already testing a “patient passport” for people with learning disabilities and working with the community learning disability teams to create liaison nurses.