- Peterborough hospital cancels all outpatient clinics after a water pipe burst
- Trust says ambulances on divert but emergency patients still being seen
- Trust says it is working closely with water suppliers to sort out issue as soon as possible
Peterborough city hospital has been forced to cancel all outpatient clinics and surgeries due to a burst water pipe.
North West Anglia NHS Foundation Trust, which runs the hospital built under the private finance initiative, said ambulances were on divert to neighbouring hospitals and “the only procedures taking place will be those of a life, limb or sight saving nature”.
The trust said in a statement on its website today: “Due to a severe water supply issue at Peterborough City Hospital, the decision has been made to declare a critical internal incident to ensure the continued safe operation of our services.
“This means that all outpatient clinics and surgeries have been cancelled for today. The only procedures taking place will be those of a life, limb or sight saving nature.
“There is a divert in place to our neighbouring hospitals for emergency patients. However, we can accept walk in patients seeking emergency treatment. To ensure we only see emergency patients, we’re asking all other people potentially coming to the emergency department to seek alternative help, if they can.
“Visiting has been temporarily cancelled to prevent additional people being on site and no visitors will be allowed in unless in extenuating circumstances.
“All patients who are currently on our wards are in very safe hands and measures have been put in place to ensure they still have toilet and hand washing facilities.
“The hospital control team are working closely with the water suppliers to ensure the issue is fixed as soon as possible and further updates will be available throughout the day.”
26 February 2018
- CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- CAMBRIDGESHIRE AND PETERBOROUGH FOUNDATION TRUST
- CAMBS & PETERBOROUGH MH PARTNERSHIP NHS TRUST
- East Of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- HSJ LOCAL
- NHS Cambridgeshire and Peterborough CCG
- Peterborough and Stamford
- Winter pressures