Regulators have drawn up a list of more NHS providers to be considered for “financial special measures”.
Presentation documents used by NHS Improvement last month, seen by HSJ, said the regulator was reviewing trusts’ financial performance for the four months to August and had created a shortlist of trusts that could face intervention.
Financial special measures was introduced in July when five providers were placed in the regime.
An update in the documents said: “Monthly process to review financial results on a two month rolling basis.
“NHSI is currently reviewing month four financial returns and ‘near misses’ and is investigating a shortlist of potential providers who may enter into FSM.”
Although the shortlist of trusts is not included in the update, a separate section lists trusts which were more than £2m behind their financial plan after the three months to July.
Alongside North Bristol Trust and Barts Health Trust, which are already in the special measures regime, the list featured:
- Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent Partnership Trust;
- Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals Foundation Trust;
- King’s College Hospital FT;
- Southport and Ormskirk Hospital Trust;
- East of England Ambulance Service Trust; and
- St George’s University Hospitals FT.
Despite being nearly £5m behind plan, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals was still reporting a year to date surplus, so is unlikely to be considered for special measures.
The other three trusts already in financial special measures are:
- Croydon Health Services Trust;
- Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals FT; and
- Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells Trust.
- BARTS HEALTH TRUST
- Croydon Health Services NHS TRUST
- East Of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- Finance and efficiency
- KING'S COLLEGE HOSPITAL NHS FT
- MAIDSTONE AND TUNBRIDGE WELLS NHS TRUST
- NHS Improvement
- NORFOLK AND NORWICH UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- NORTH BRISTOL NHS TRUST
- Reset moment
- SOUTHPORT AND ORMSKIRK HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- ST GEORGE'S HEALTHCARE NHS TRUST
- Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Partnership NHS Trust
- THE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
All trusts given new targets to achieve provider sector surplus
- Currently reading
More trusts considered for 'financial special measures'