HSJ analysis shows which trusts are performing best, and worst, against their financial plans in 2016-17.
NHS Improvement has published financial performance data for every provider for the first nine months of the year, with trusts now forecasting a year-end deficit of £873m.
This is a deterioration of £200m compared to the forecast after the second quarter of the year.
The forecasts published by NHS Improvement include payments from the £1.8bn sustainability and transformation fund, which trusts are only eligible for if they meet their financial targets.
HSJ has recalculated the forecasts after excluding these payments, to enable like for like comparisons on the underlying position.
Some trusts, such as North Bristol Trust and Newcastle Upon Tyne Hopsitals Foundation Trust, have forecast major improvements against their control total plans. HSJ has contacted them to ask how this will be achieved.
Trust forecasts that have worsened the most since quarter two (in cash terms)
Trusts forecasting the worst performance against 2016-17 plan (in relation to size of organisation)
Trusts forecasting the best performance against 2016-17 plan (in relation to size of organisation)
Trusts forecasting the largest surpluses, which meet or exceed their 2016-17 plan (in cash terms)
The final two tables have been amended as several trusts which did not agree their control totals were previously included. NHS Improvement’s report suggested that Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals FT, North Bristol Trust, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals FT, Plymouth Hospitals Trust, and West London Mental Health Trust had assumed STF payments within their control total plans, which skewed the variance numbers. NHSI has confirmed the plans for these trusts do not include STF.
- AVON AND WILTSHIRE MH PARTNERSHIP NHS TRUST
- BRIGHTON AND SUSSEX UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- CENTRAL MANCHESTER UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- DONCASTER AND BASSETLAW TEACHING HOSPITALS FOUNDATION TRUST
- EAST AND NORTH HERTFORDSHIRE NHS TRUST
- Finance and efficiency
- GLOUCESTERSHIRE HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- HINCHINGBROOKE HEALTH CARE NHS TRUST
- KETTERING GENERAL HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- KING'S COLLEGE HOSPITAL NHS FT
- LEEDS TEACHING HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- MOORFIELDS EYE HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- NHS Improvement
- NORFOLK AND NORWICH UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- NORTH BRISTOL NHS TRUST
- NORTH MIDDLESEX UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- OXFORD UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- PENNINE ACUTE HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- PLYMOUTH HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- PORTSMOUTH HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- ROYAL FREE LONDON FOUNDATION TRUST
- ROYAL SURREY COUNTY HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- SHERWOOD FOREST HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- SOUTHPORT AND ORMSKIRK HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- ST GEORGE'S HEALTHCARE NHS TRUST
- Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Partnership NHS Trust
- THE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- UNIVERSITY COLLEGE LONDON HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS OF NORTH MIDLANDS NHS TRUST
Turnaround consultants heading to more struggling trusts
- Currently reading
NHS finances: The best and worst performing trusts in quarter three