An acute services review has not proposed immediate changes to accident and emergency, maternity and paediatric units. There are also moves to en-cour-age more joint working between hospitals.
Proposals include the following:
- more severely ill children to be treated at University Hospital in Coventry, potentially being moved from other hospitals in the area;
- special-care baby units to remain at Warwick Hospital and the George Eliot Hospital, Nuneaton;
- treatment of complex cancer cases to be centralised in Coventry;
- more work to be done on whether emergency general surgery should be centralised at Coventry overnight;
- community services in north War-wickshire to be strengthened.
A region-wide review of maternity and paediatric services is continuing. However, some controversial proposals from an earlier stage (such as losing services from the George Eliot) have been dropped.