University Hospitals of North Midlands has confirmed it will keep the 120 beds it opened over winter in place until summer, following “severe winter pressures”. The chief executive said the trust is experiencing ”very high demand… and lengthy waits for beds”.
HSJ Solutions is the largest database of validated best practice in the NHS. Here you will find workable and evidence based solutions to everyday challenges facing the NHS.
This week we look at the organisations shortlisted for their innovative work with the frail and elderly and in admissions avoidance.
- Airedale Foundation Trust: Established a multidisciplinary team and review process to analyse outcomes data, focusing on timely and safe discharge, resulting in 67 per cent reduction in readmissions.
- Prime GP: Initiated a scheme to enhance socialisation and improve wellbeing of people over the age of 75, reducing GP appointments from high demand patients by 26 per cent.
- North Cumbria University Hospitals Trust: Reconfigured elderly care wards to create a 12 bedded Acute Frailty Assessment Unit, saving an estimated 2,467 bed days.
- Roya Voluntary Service: Introduced a Home for Hospital service to support older patients post their discharge and help them settle back home, reducing readmissions.
- Taunton and Somerset FT: Designed an app to reduce the number of children being admitted to paediatric departments by providing evidence based advice and support, resulting in 15 per cent reduction in total admissions for children with six high-volume conditions.
- Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals Trust: Set up a nurse led service offering day-case paracentesis, helping 559 patients to be treated, thus avoiding unnecessary admissions.
- Acute care
- AIREDALE NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- Community services
- Emergency care
- Independent providers
- NORTH CUMBRIA ACUTE HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- TAUNTON AND SOMERSET NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- THE ROYAL WOLVERHAMPTON HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS OF NORTH MIDLANDS NHS TRUST
- Voluntary sector/third sector
- Winter pressures
Trust extends winter pressures plan until summer
- Currently reading
The innovators in hospital admissions avoidance