St Bartholomew’s Hospital – Department of Cardiac Imaging: Making MRI available for cardiac pacemaker patients
Nearly half a million people in England have a cardiac pacemaker or defibrillator. Each of these patients has a 75 per cent lifetime chance of needing an MRI scan but often have difficulty accessing MRI due to safety concerns and lack of provision, which leads to subsequent delays in diagnosis and treatment.
St Bartholomew’s Hospital has responded to requests by patients for a one-stop service, where devices could be re-programmed and scans performed at a single visit. Training has resulted in radiographers scanning patients without direct consultant supervision. The cardiac imaging team also worked with physicists from the US to design optimised MRI scans that are suitable for device patients.
The cost of this was minimal – changes were mainly organisational and logistical – but the team developed a business care for a specialist “device-MRI” practitioner. The changes have also meant it is now delivering MRI scans to six times the previous number of patients with devices.
Benefits to patients include waiting time reduced from 60 to 15 days, as well as early diagnosis for serious conditions such as stroke and cancer. Providing scans early also makes financial sense, reducing extra bed days.
- Change Healthcare (formerly McKesson Imaging & Workflow Solutions): Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust Drives up Standards with McKesson Cardiology
- City Hospitals Sunderland FT: The Radiology Led Lung Cancer Escalation Pathway
- Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust and Leeds Clinical Commissioning Groups Partnership: Leeds ACE Project
- North West London Collaboration of CCGs: Diagnostic radiography careers
- Newham, Tower Hamlets, Waltham Forest CCGs and Bart’s Health Trust: Transforming Services Together: Appropriate Diagnostics
- Sheffield Teaching Hospitals FT: Fetal MRI
- Surrey and Sussex Healthcare Trust: Making it Lean
- University Hospitals of Leicester Trust – Imaging Department: Imaging pathway improvement
Winners of 2018 HSJ Value Awards revealed
- Currently reading
HSJ Value Awards 2018: Improving the Value of Diagnostic Services