WORKFORCE: Research carried for the Shelford Group, which represents England’s most powerful teaching hospitals, shows each patient bed day accounts for an average of 15 nurse hours.
A report to the board of Guy’s and St Thomas’s Foundation Trust said: “In September 2011 [PriceWaterhouseCoopers] presented data to the directors of nursing within the Shelford Group, setting out the nursing hours per bed day against a range of productivity and clinical measures.
“The data demonstrated that at Guys and St Thomas’ the average nursing hours per bed day was 19 against a peer average of 15. As a result of the Shelford Group analysis, the trust engaged PWC to undertake analysis of the nursing staffing profile across wards and key departments at the trust.”
The Shelford Group trusts are: University College London Hospitals Foundation Trust, University Hospitals Birmingham Foundation Trust, Cambridge University Hospitals Foundation Trust, Central Manchester University Hospitals Foundation Trust, Guy’s and St Thomas’ Foundation Trust, Imperial College Healthcare Trust, Oxford University Hospitals Trust, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Foundation Trust, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals Foundation Trust and King’s College Hospital Foundation Trust.
- CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- CENTRAL MANCHESTER UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- GUY'S AND ST THOMAS' NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- HSJ LOCAL
- IMPERIAL COLLEGE HEALTHCARE NHS TRUST
- KING'S COLLEGE HOSPITAL NHS FT
- OXFORD UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- SHEFFIELD TEACHING HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- THE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- UNIVERSITY COLLEGE LONDON HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS BIRMINGHAM NHS FOUNDATION TRUST