• Teenage boy too anxious to attend hospital appointments found hanging in wardrobe
  • No “provision or funding” for clinicians to visit children at home
  • Coroner calls for action to prevent future deaths

Health secretary Jeremy Hunt has been asked to consider the lack of commissioned services for children too anxious to attend hospital appointments following the death of a teenage boy.

Brandon Singh Rayat, 15, was discovered hanging in his wardrobe while under the care of the child and adolescent mental health service in Leicestershire after experiencing low mood and anxiety.

An inquest heard that Brandon’s mental health deteriorated in the months leading up to his death but he was too anxious to get out of the car for appointments with professionals.

Although a CAMHS crisis team was available, there was no funding or provision for clinicians to visit children at home in Leicestershire when they were too anxious to attend hospital.

Dianne Hocking, assistant coroner for Leicester City and Leicestershire South, has now called for action from Mr Hunt to address the problem and prevent the deaths of more children.

She said: “During the course of the inquest, the evidence revealed matters giving rise to concern. 

“It was established that the efficacy of his care was compromised because of this lack of contact but Brandon was simply too anxious to attend outpatients’ appointments and there was no provision or funding for the clinicians to go to Brandon’s home to treat him. 

Jeremy hunt

“In my opinion, action should be taken to prevent future deaths and I believe you have the power to take such action.”

The inquest heard Brandon refused to go to school in April 2015, becoming more reclusive and anxious, and was referred to CAMHS.

He was diagnosed with low mood and anxiety and treated with fluoxetine, an antidepressant.

However, his mental health continued to deteriorate and he refused to engage with professionals, with his mother attending appointments alone.

Although Brandon sometimes got in the car, he was too anxious to get out once they arrived for his appointments.

His last face-to-face contact with the team was on 31 May 2016, although he did speak to staff during occasional telephone calls. He was found hanging in his wardrobe by police on 9 August 2016.

Brandon was rushed to Leicester Royal Infirmary before being transferred to Glenfield Hospital but died the following day.

The inquest concluded in August 2017 with a verdict of suicide.

The coroner also sent her letter expressing concerns over the provision of services to East Leicestershire and Rutland Clinical Commissioning Group last month.

Both Mr Hunt and the CCG have been asked to respond by 1 November.