Paul Burstow’s background and voting record
Liberal Democrat Paul Burstow was first elected MP for Sutton and Cheam in 1997.
He was Lib Dem shadow health secretary from 2004 to 2005.
- Voted against an amendment to reduce the upper limit for abortions from 24 week to 22 weeks
- Voted against an amendment to strengthen laws to make IVF clinics consider the ‘need for a father and a mother’ before allowing women to begin fertility treatment
- Voted against an amendment against the relaxation of laws governing the circumstances in which children genetically matched to a sibling with a genetic disease can be generated by IVF
- Voted against a backbench amendment calling for a ban on all hybrid embryos
- Voted for an amendment to remove references to foundation hospitals from the health and social care bill
- Voted for an amendment opposing the creation of foundation hospitals