Walsall Healthcare Trust: An integrated approach of changing cultures in clinical governance/patient safety
Staff are used to being told to report when things go wrong, but what about when things go right? Often success factors are less reliably recognised and recorded than risk factors.
The patient safety team at Walsall Healthcare Trust has redressed that balance by embedding the Learning from Excellence approach in the organisation. This focuses on reporting what has gone well, with a view to ensuring such an approach can be used time and time again.
Risk roadshows have also been developed, during which members of the patient safety team visit wards to discuss LFE, the duty of candour, risk registers and incident reporting. The emphasis is on one to one conversations with ward staff, with a view to embedding good practice on patient safety.
Divisional safety huddles, meanwhile, regularly consider the complaints, clinical claims, inquests and incidents which have taken place within a division and establish learning from them.
From July 2017 to February 2018, 122 nominations of excellent practice were made at the trust.
- Guy’s and St Thomas’ Foundation Trust and REMEO Healthcare: Improving patient safety when using tracheostomy speaking valves
- Leicestershire Partnership Trust: Introducing a traffic light system to safely manage waiting lists across specialist CAMHS
- Liverpool University Dental Hospital, The Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals Trust: A new outpatient pre-operative safety briefing for outpatient dental procedures
- Liverpool University Dental Hospital, The Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals Trust: A biopsy safety strategy in oral medicine
- Moorfields Eye Hospital Foundation Trust: Managing risks and changing global practice – our investigation into an outbreak of fungal endophthalmitis in corneal transplants
- Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Foundation Trust: Audit of surgical safety checklist process
- The Pennine Acute Hospitals Trust: A life saving system for managing CPE sepsis – ‘individualised antibiotic regimens’
- West of England Academic Health Science Network: A collaborative approach to learning from deaths
- Board Talk/governance/assurance
- GUY'S AND ST THOMAS' NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- LEICESTERSHIRE PARTNERSHIP NHS TRUST
- MOORFIELDS EYE HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- PENNINE ACUTE HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- ROYAL LIVERPOOL AND BROADGREEN UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- SHEFFIELD TEACHING HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- WALSALL HEALTHCARE NHS TRUST
HSJ Patient Safety Awards 2018 winners
- Currently reading
HSJ Patient Safety Awards 2018: Clinical Governance and Risk Management in Patient Safety