Oxehealth and Coventry and Warwickshire Partnership Trust: Innovative technology to improve dementia care in mental health
The trust installed a digital care assistant which detects patient movement in bedrooms at Manor Hospital in an attempt to reduce falls during the night. By alerting staff via a central monitor if patients are on the edge of the bed or are trying to get out of bed, it enables them to intervene to prevent falls.
This has led to a 33 per cent reduction in falls at night and a reduction in the severity of falls with moderate falls reduced from eight per cent to two per cent of the total. But the use of the technology has also reduced accident and emergency demand (representing a £99,000 saving per year) and saved clinical time. Staff can replay a short video of any falls, enabling them to decide if the patient had hit their head: this has led to a 71 per cent reduction in hours spent on enhanced observation, a potential saving of £154,000 a year. The Oxehealth technology has been supported by staff, patients and carers, and refined to meet the trust’s needs.
- Imperial College Healthcare Trust and Ashford & St Peters FT: Outpatient local anaesthetic Trans-urethral Laser Ablation of Non Muscle Invasive Bladder Tumours (TULA) – HIGHLY COMMENDED
- Cambridge University Hospitals FT: 42% reduction in sepsis mortality through digital technology
- Cardiff & Vale UHB: NHS Wales PROMs, PREMs and Effectiveness Programme: innovating to improve care
- Cardiff & Vale UHB: Improving Outcomes Through Data
- Chesterfield Royal Hospital FT: Ensuring the safe and efficient management of medicines in a ward environment
- Hertfordshire Community Trust: Innovative safeguarding IT solution for sharing health information on children
- Homerton University Hospital FT: Action Card to Action Card Smart Phone App: Integrating technology into practice
- Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals Trust: E-handover: Improving safety of handover of patient information
- Spirit Digital Ltd, part of Spirit Health Group: Regaining control & improving patient safety through remote monitoring
- University Hospital Southampton FT: Sample 360
HSJ Patient Safety Awards 2019 winners revealed
- Currently reading
HSJ Patient Safety Awards 2019: Best Healthtech Solution for Patient Safety