Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust Parkinson’s QI collaborative: Collaborative to improve hospital care for people with Parkinson’s
The trust set out to reduce missed and delayed medicine doses for people with Parkinson’s, who can be admitted to any one of 90 wards across the organisation. Working with Parkinson’s UK, it developed and tested interventions on adult wards. The most successful of these became a Parkinson’s bundle – bedside posters to alert staff to time-critical medications, a small alarm clock for nurses, posters giving key medical contacts and a twice-yearly educational masterclass. Much of this has been informed by people with Parkinson’s who are also involved in the masterclasses.
The average delay in the first does of medication has reduced from seven hours to 1.5 and medication omissions have dropped from 15 per cent to 1.3 per cent. In the last two years no patient has had to be transferred to neurology for “rescue care” and readmission rates for people with Parkinson’s have reduced. The number of patients self-medicating has also increased.
- Cardiff & Vale UHB: Staying Steady Schools: Intergenerational falls awareness sessions – HIGHLY COMMENDED
- Bolton FT, Western Sussex Hospitals FT, Sussex MSK Partnership, Manchester Metropolitan University: Raising awareness of diagnosis and management of cauda equina syndrome
- Care UK and HMP Featherstone: The Safe and Effective Management of Psychoactive Substances
- Cheshire & Wirral Partnership FT: Improving medicines safety for people with serious mental illness through digital referrals to community pharmacy
- Homerton University Hospital FT & BD: Action Card to Action Card Smart Phone App: Integrating technology into practice
- Sherwood Forest Hospitals FT and partners: High Volume Service User Programme
- Southern Health FT, Hampshire County Council, Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service: Falls Friends Champions
- Surrey and Borders Partnership FT: Eliminating ground restraint when managing violent behaviour using the Safety Pod
- Warrington and Halton Hospitals FT: Improving services for people with mental health needs who present to A&E
- West Hertfordshire Hospitals Trust: Paediatric Pharmacy Team: Druggle: A Medication Safety Huddle
HSJ Patient Safety Awards 2019 winners revealed
- Currently reading
HSJ Patient Safety Awards 2019: Best Partnership Solution Improving Patient Safety