WORKFORCE: The new body in Staffordshire created to draw up a region-wide transformation programme has appointed an ‘independent’ chair to oversee its work.
Mike Potts has been appointed executive chair of the Commissioning Congress, created last month. It includes all six of the county’s clinical commissioning groups, Staffordshire County Council, Stoke-on-Trent City Council and NHS England.
Mr Potts, who has led a number of NHS commissioner and provider organisations over a 39-year career, will oversee progress on the congress’ three workstreams:
- preventing ill health and encouraging people to manage their own health;
- supporting people who have long-term health conditions to live at home with appropriate support; and
- people who are receiving care in an NHS or social care setting outside their home, including acute and community hospitals
Mr Potts was most recently chief executive of NHS Kirklees Primary Care Trust.
Mr Potts said: “I am hugely inspired by the possibilities of bringing health and care organisations together and the potential to deliver innovation and positive service transformation when clinicians and managers work in partnership.
“I see my role as that of an independent ambassador and I am committed to working hard to support health and care professionals to deliver the highest quality services for the people of Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent now and in the future.”
Rita Symons, transformation director for the Commissioning Congress, said: “Mike brings a wealth of valuable experience and expertise, including an in-depth understanding of cross-sector working, awareness of the broader role of local authorities and an appreciation of the dynamics of service improvement and change.”
Commissioning Congress statement
- BURTON HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- EAST CHESHIRE NHS TRUST
- NHS Cannock Chase CCG
- NHS East Staffordshire CCG
- NHS England (Commissioning Board)
- NHS North Staffordshire CCG
- NHS Stafford and Surrounds CCG
- NHS Stoke on Trent CCG
- SOUTH STAFFORDSHIRE AND SHROPSHIRE FOUNDATION TRUST
- Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Partnership NHS Trust
- THE DUDLEY GROUP NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- THE ROYAL WOLVERHAMPTON HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- THE ROYAL WOLVERHAMPTON HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
- UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS BIRMINGHAM NHS FOUNDATION TRUST (formerly HEFT)
- UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS OF NORTH MIDLANDS NHS TRUST
- WALSALL HEALTHCARE NHS TRUST
- West Midlands
- West Midlands