A further two trusts confirmed they will be cancelling appointments this morning, five days after they were infected in the unprecendented global cyber attack

Southport and Ormskirk Hospital and Northumbria Healthcare FT both confirmed some appointments and elective surgeries on Wednesday would not go ahead.

They join Barts Health, which said last night that it would continue to handle a “reduced the volume of planned operations and clinics” across all five hospitals on Wednesday as it struggled to restore IT systems.

The majority of the the 47 trusts said to have been infected have restored clinical services, although some have yet to fully restore IT systems. The last ambulance diversion, at Lister Hospital, was lifted on Wednesday.

Northumbria Healthcare spokeswoman said the trust “expected further disruption this week” as it restored clinical systems.

On Wednesday, this would include cancelling all orthopaedic outpatient clinics and 21 elective operations, most of them orthopaedic operations.

”The trust would like to reassure patients that all urgent and emergency care services are running, however these services are extremely busy.”

Northumbria Healthcare also confirmed that it had applied the patch sent out by NHS Digital last month to protected PCs running more modern operating systems from the cyber attack. 

However, “the trust was infected on PCs that the patch did not cover”, suggesting the malware gained access through PCs running Windows XP.

In a statement this morning, Southport and Ormskirk Hospital said while some clinical IT systems had now been restored all outpatients appointments and elective operations had been cancelled on Wednesday, unless patients were informed otherwise.

Other service down after the cyber attack include routine MRI and CT scans, radiology and pathology, therapies and endoscopy.