- Portsmouth Hospitals Trust – winner
- Danetre Medical Practice – highly commended
- Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health Foundation Trust
- Birmingham Women’s Foundation Trust
- Burton Hospitals Foundation Trust
- Homerton University Hospital Foundation Trust
- Manchester Mental Health and Social Care Trust
- Solent Trust
- Southern Health Foundation Trust
- The Pennine Acute Hospitals Trust
Portsmouth Hospitals Trust: Strategies for change, impact and quality improvement
Judges praised the “ambitious and impressive programme” that was impacting “locally and beyond”.
A series of initiatives to boost research activity has helped Portsmouth Hospitals Trust improve the quality of care it provides to patients.
A clinical outcomes research group was established to create a centre of research excellence on the use of clinical outcome data to improve patient care. Working in collaboration with the University of Oxford, the group won a £1.9 million research grant from the Wellcome Trust.
A dedicated personal and public involvement officer focused on corporate level communication, using social media and marketing through a tailored website. An internal mystery shopper scheme was implemented, and Twitter used to raise awareness.
A research clinic space was created with waiting and quiet areas, and a research taxi service enhanced patient recruitment, experience and access. Training has been offered to all professional groups.
Research areas include fundamental care; dementia and compassionate care; public health and long-term conditions; and maternity care.
The trust has secured investment from industry in the local health economy of £1.8m over the next four years.
Concrete results from research activity include reduction of the time taken to diagnose severe asthma; more accurate breast cancer radiotherapy; and new treatment options for patients with pleural effusions.
Other finalists’ projects:
- Danetre Medical Practice – Engaging with the research community for it to become a core service of primary care
- Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health Foundation Trust – Research and innovation division
- Birmingham Women’s Foundation Trust – Research and development department
- Burton Hospitals Foundation Trust – Developing and promoting clinical research trials
- Homerton University Hospital Foundation Trust –
- Manchester Mental Health and Social Care Trust - Dementia therapeutics research programme
- Solent Trust - A research-active clinical workforce
- Southern Health Foundation Trust - Research and development department
- The Pennine Acute Hospitals Trust - Clinical research and development team