WINNER: University College London and University College London Hospitals FT – The UCL Ventura CPAP device - engineering a ‘just-in-time’ covid-19 solution
In mid-March 2020, covid-19 threatened to overwhelm UK critical care. Sparing ventilator capacity and ICU beds for the most needy was crucial. However, the obvious solution - non-invasive continuous positive airways pressure (CPAP) devices - were also in short supply. UCLH clinicians joined forces with UCL and Mercedes Formula-1 engineers to reverse engineer an old CPAP device.
From a standing start, the UCL-Ventura CPAP was constructed, enhanced to reduce oxygen use by 70 per cent, tested and MHRA-approved, with 10,000 devices manufactured and delivered to the NHS by mid-April. Importantly, patients in 20 low-middle income countries are also benefiting from its use.
Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals Trust – Alcohol Care Team
- Bolton FT – Deploying AI in the fight against covid
- Guy’s and St Thomas’ FT – The effective management of IIH by Group Consultations
- London North West Healthcare University Trust, Kettering General Hospital FT, St Mark’s Hospital and Made Tech – NHS Book a Virtual Visit
- Royal Berkshire FT – Triage into the Community of Covid-19 Pathway
- St George’s University Hospitals FT – Patientcheck.in: Making the Most out of Waiting
- University Hospital of North Midlands, Midlands Partnership FT, Health2Works, Simple Shared Health and Signum Health – Smart with Your Heart