Our winner provides an alternative to acute admission when assessing older people with complex needs.
Acute Service Redesign
Winner: The Ipswich Hospital Trust
The Frailty Assessment Base (FAB) at Ipswich Hospital provides an alternative to acute admission when assessing older people with complex needs. While based in a secondary care facility, it offers a multidisciplinary approach and strong integration with community care.
When hospital admission was required, lengths of stay were 1.35 days shorter than the average for age matched individuals
GPs, community healthcare professionals and A&E can all refer patients to FAB. Following a holistic assessment of the person’s needs, a care plan is developed which is shared with the patient as well as his or her GP and community teams.
The unit opened in October 2015, and in its first four months of operation achieved an 88 per cent admissions avoidance rate. Over half of those assessed returned home, a further 24 per cent returned home with increased support, and 6 per cent transferred to intermediate care.
When hospital admission was required, lengths of stay were 1.35 days shorter than the average for age matched individuals. It is estimated the 174 admissions prevented to date will have saved the system around £472,000.
Patient feedback has been very positive: 94 per cent said they were extremely likely to recommend the service, with the remaining 6 per cent saying they were likely to do so.
Judges’ comment: A clear, system-wide approach. The positive and proactive buy-in from primary care has produced considerable savings.
Highly commended: The Dudley Group Foundation Trust
Revealed: 2016 winners of the HSJ Value Awards
- Currently reading
HSJ Value in Healthcare Awards 2016: Acute Service Redesign