- Baroness Neuberger to chair Whittington Healthcare Trust from next April
- Will also continue as chair of University College London Hospitals Foundation Trust
- Previous Whittington chair Steve Hitchins left before end of his term
The chair of one of England’s biggest teaching hospital trusts will also chair its smaller neighbour from next April.
Baroness Neuberger, who chairs University College London Hospitals Foundation Trust, will also chair Whittington Healthcare Trust next year, the Whittington has announced.
Deputy chair Anu Singh will act up in the role at the Whittington until Baroness Neuberger joins.
The appointment follows the public resignation of previous Whittington chair Steve Hitchins, who left before the end of his term, saying he had been told by NHS England and Improvement London that his term would not be renewed.
NHSE/I London said a final decision had not been taken when Mr Hitchins made his announcement at a board meeting.
The announcement said: “The two posts [Baroness Neuberger will hold] are separate appointments and both Whittington Health Trust and UCLHFT will remain as separate organisations with their own boards.
”However, this move will help to further underpin and develop the partnership and collaboration between Whittington Health and UCLH and ensure that we work as part of a broader and coordinated system for the communities we serve.”
Closer working between the organisations has already led to tension in one specialism, which prompted an employment tribunal earlier this year.
In a statement, Baroness Neuberger said: “I am delighted to be taking up this appointment in April and look forward to working with the fantastic team at Whittington Health and helping our local population to live longer, healthier lives. Since chairing the old Camden and Islington Community Trust in the 1990s, I have had a very soft spot for Whittington Health and its talented and committed staff.”
The news comes as the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital Trust in Stanmore announced it would share a chair with the Royal Free London FT.
- Board Talk/governance/assurance
- CAMDEN AND ISLINGTON NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- NHS England (Commissioning Board)
- NHS Improvement
- Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust
- ROYAL NATIONAL ORTHOPAEDIC HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- UNIVERSITY COLLEGE LONDON HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- Whittington Health NHS Trust