- 21 deaths were reported by acute trust in north west London
- Regional distribution of deaths increases with the proportion reported in London falling again
There have been 83 deaths reported from covid-19 in England over the past 24 hours with nearly a quarter of them in a single London trust.
The latest figures take the total number of deaths in England to 386.
The patients were aged between 33 and 103 and all “were in vulnerable groups including with underlying conditions”.
London North West University Healthcare Trust reported 21 deaths from the virus in the previous 24 hours, according to the latest data released by NHS England. The deaths had occurred between 20 March and 23 March.
There have now been 36 patients succumb to the virus at the trust, more than doubling the trust’s total, which is now the highest in England.
On Thursday last week, LNWH declared a critical incident when the chief executive told staff its Northwick Park hospital had no critical care capacity left and was seeking help from neighbouring trusts.
The trust said the incident was stood down by 4pm on Friday 20 March after it opened more critical care beds.
Regional distribution has increased from 23 March, with London hospitals accounting for just over 40 per cent of the fatalities while the proportion reported in East of England, North East and Yorkshire, and North West all increased.
|NHS Region||Total deaths|
(As of 24 March)
|North East and Yorkshire||31|
|East of England||19|
Ten more trusts have reported their first covid-19 death in the past day, taking the total count to 91.
These include Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital Foundation Trust, North Cumbria Integrated Care FT, and University Hospitals Plymouth Trust.
A spokeswoman from LNWH said: “Sadly, we can confirm that a further 21 patients who had tested positive for covid-19 have passed away between Friday 20 March and Monday 23 March, and our thoughts remain with those people who have lost loved ones.
“Our trust is seeing a high number of intensive care unit cases, and we are stepping up our support in response to this demand, having already significantly increased the number of intensive care beds at our hospitals, but we need everyone to also do their bit by staying at home and washing your hands.”
This post was updated at 18.43 after NHS England clarified that seven deaths had occurred at Quen Alexandra Hospital, part of the Portsmouth Hospitals Trust, not The Princess Alexandra Hospital Trust as it had first said. It was updated at 20.30 to include a statement from London North West University Healthcare Trust.
HSJ analysis of government data
March 24 2020