Guy’s and St Thomas’ Foundation Trust: Patients as Catalysts: improving information on uterine fibroids
Uterine fibroids is one of the most common gynaecological problems in the UK, and symptoms can be severe and damaging to a woman’s quality of life. Variation in access to information and late diagnosis can mean unnecessary suffering and limit treatment options.
The trust worked with women across southeast London to develop a new patient information leaflet and video, to raise awareness and empower women’s conversations with healthcare providers. 10,000 copies have been distributed to GPs and pharmacists, and materials are available online. A new patient support group has been established in response to the call for better peer support.
The judges were impressed with the evidence of co-design with patient groups, which resulted in materials which deliver informed content to women to empower them.
|Birmingham Women’s Hospital Foundation Trust|
|East Lancashire NHS Trust|
|Imperial College Healthcare Trust|
|Medway Foundation Trust in partnership with Abigail’s Footsteps Charity|
|Northampton General Hospital Trust|
|University Hospitals Bristol Foundation Trust|
- BIRMINGHAM WOMEN'S NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- GUY'S AND ST THOMAS' NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- IMPERIAL COLLEGE HEALTHCARE NHS TRUST
- MEDWAY NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- NORTHAMPTON GENERAL HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
- SOUTHEND UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS BRISTOL NHS TRUST
- Value in Healthcare Awards 2017