Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals Trust: Single Clerking at BSUH: Redesigning the Acute Floor
The single clerking project at Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals Trust involves the first doctor to see the patient completing full, high quality clerking, with no re-clerking later by another doctor. Unnecessary delays for patients have been shown to result in a longer increased morality.
Single clerking has resulted in waiting times before clerking reducing to almost a third of that of traditional models, from 217 to 83 minutes. Single clerking has also freed up time for senior doctors, allowing them to review more patients. It has resulted in reduced medication errors, improved quality of care (as measured by time to receive treatment), and reduced time for a speciality review, even during the winter pressures period.
It has been cost free. Other acute teams have contacted the team for advice and resources on how to implement this model at their own hospitals.
- University Hospitals Plymouth Trust: Developing and providing an acute neurology service. A 10 year quality improvement programme – HIGHLY COMMENDED
- County Durham and Darlington Clinical Commissioners and County Durham and Darlington Foundation Trust: Ophthalmology
- Gloucestershire Hospitals FT: Get it Right First Time- Reconfiguration of Trauma and Orthopaedic Services
- Kettering General Hospital FT: Ambulatory Management of Pneumothorax
- Mid Cheshire Hospitals FT: Virtual Fracture Clinic
- Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals FT
- Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals Trust: Future Hospitals’ Project - Redesign Respiratory programme
- Southern Health and Social Care Trust: Re-Design of Lung Function Lab Appointments
- University Hospitals of North Midlands Trust: Adult Critical Care Unit - A Transformation Program
- University Hospitals of North Midlands Trust: Mechanical Thrombectomy in Stroke – Produces Improved Clinical Outcomes and Cost Benefits
Winners of 2018 HSJ Value Awards revealed
- Currently reading
HSJ Value Awards 2018: Acute Service Redesign