University Hospitals of North Midlands: The Largest UK Series – Mechanical Thrombectomy in Acute Ischaemic Stroke produces improved clinical outcomes and cost benefits
The team wanted to improve patient safety and clinical outcomes, hence introduced a 24/7 service for mechanical extraction of brain blood clots.
The mortality rates decreased from 40 per cent to 17 per cent. Over 350 patients were treated and hospital days were reduced. The trust achieved annual savings of £2.4m.
The judges said this was a great example of clinical leadership and were impressed by the teams’ passion to see all patients being able to access this service.
- The London Pathways Partnership, Services for people with personality disorder who are at high risk of serious offending - HIGHLY COMMENDED
- Croydon Health Services Trust, The Croydon Respiratory Team
- Dorset HealthCare University Foundation Trust and Dorset Police, Redesign of the Criminal Justice Liaison and Diversion Service in combination with Street Triage
- Hampshire Hospitals Foundation Trust, Specialist Dementia Team (An Enhanced Model of Care)
- Lincolnshire Partnership Foundation Trust, Crisis and Intensive Home Treatment Team
- Livewell Southwest CIC, Beating Leg Ulcers is a competitive sport!
- Modality Partnership, Modality Partnership Community Rheumatology Service
- North West Severe Asthma Operational Delivery Network, North West Severe Asthma Service
- Sandwell and West Birmingham Trust and Sandwell & West Birmingham Clinical Commissioning Group, Lessons from Sandwell & West Birmingham Diabetes model (DICE) regarding future of Diabetes services – the way forward?
Winners of 2017 HSJ Awards revealed
- Currently reading
HSJ Awards 2017: Specialised Services Redesign