Dr Beverly Oates – Wirral University Teaching Hospital Foundation Trust
Dr Beverly Oates has been clinical leader for endoscopy at Wirral University Teaching Hospital Foundation Trust for 10 years.
She implemented an electronic auditable reporting system in 2006 and expanded the endoscopy service from two to four theatres in 2008.
Despite much initial resistance, the team now agrees it would never want to go back to old ways of working.
A seven-day endoscopy service was started in 2012 to keep up with demand. Despite the difficult financial climate, Dr Oates led the team in securing £1.7m to expand the unit to seven theatres and reconfigure facilities to create single sex environments.
The endoscopy team increased its volume of procedures by 8 per cent in the year before submitting its award entry, and predicts a further increase of up to 10 per cent the following year.
Testimonies from both staff and patients describe Dr Oates’ high levels of compassion, commitment and support and speak highly of the relationships she develops with staff, patients and relatives.
She recently granted a dying patient’s wish to experience fresh air and sunshine, accompanying the patient with drips, oxygen and medical interventions.
Judges said Dr Oates displayed significant achievements in supporting patients with their care.
- Highly Commended: Sharon Scott – Aintree University Hospital Foundation Trust
- Highly Commended: Dr Mark Simmonds – Nottingham University Hospitals Trust
- Dr Lynda Brook – Alder Hey Children’s Foundation Trust
- Professor John Goodacre – North West Coast Academic Health Science Network
- Lynne Hallam – Nottinghamshire Healthcare Foundation Trust
- Kate Hooban – Nottingham CityCare Partnership
- Giuseppe Labriola – Lewisham and Greenwich Trust
- Dr Rachael Liebmann – Queen Victoria Hospital Foundation Trust
- Dr May Ng – Southport and Ormskirk Hospital Trust
- Dr Andrew Spooner – South Cheshire Clinical Commissioning Group and Vale Royal Clinical Commissioning Group
- Dr George Winder – Leeds North Clinical Commissioning Group and Oakwood Lane Medical Practice
Newcastle upon Tyne trust scoops three HSJ Awards
- Currently reading
HSJ Awards 2015: Clinical leader of the year