HSJ Awards 2015: The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals Foundation Trust – Delivering seamless transfer of pharmaceutical care: an innovative pharmacy e-referral system linking secondary and primary care
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals Foundation Trust worked with North of Tyne Local Pharmaceutical Committee on a patient referral system linking hospitals with local pharmacies. This was designed to reduce the level of patients having problems with medicine after discharge from hospital.
The PharmOutcomes system sees community pharmacists receive referrals from the hospital, then contact a patient within three working days of their discharge. A consultation takes place and is fed back to the hospital.
In the nine months to the end of March 2015, pharmacists reported that almost nine in 10 of patients had a better understanding of their medicine following review. Consultations have also helped patients access other services, such as smoking cessation and flu vaccination.
By mid-2015, it was anticipated that 10 NHS hospital trusts in the north east would adopt the model, making electronic referrals to a network of over 700 pharmacies. To ease pressure on GP out-of-hours services over the winter, patients ringing 111 having run out of medicines are referred to a community pharmacy.
Talks are underway about NHS 111 reviewing its algorithms so it can refer even more patients to community pharmacies.
Judges said the trust “genuinely demonstrated adoption and diffusion of innovative practice across the region”.
- Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance – From education to clinical excellence: a chain reaction
- East London Foundation Trust – Staff engagement: ELFT
- Guildford and Waverley Clinical Commissioning Group, East Surrey Clinical Commissioning Group and Surrey Downs Clinical Commissioning Group – Surrey CCGs carers health work
- Halton Clinical Commissioning Group and Wellbeing Enterprises CIC – Wellbeing practices
- Haringey Adolescent Outreach Team at Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health Trust and Partners – Time 2 Talk: raising awareness about emotional wellbeing and challenging mental health stigma, a whole school approach
- Leeds North Clinical Commissioning GroupSeeing the wood for the trees: The Leeds Health and Care Intelligence Hub
- Modality Partnership – Modality primary care model: technology enabling access and capacity
- Northumbria Healthcare Foundation Trust – Safe, high quality and compassionate care begins with our board
- Portsmouth Hospitals Trust – Improving clinical outcomes using technology
- South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust – Compassionate care in a custodial setting
- Surrey and Borders Partnership Foundation Trust – Productive partnership makes a difference
- The Dudley Group Foundation Trust – ED performance
- the Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals Foundation Trust – Project Choice
- The Walton Centre Foundation Trust – Transformation of specialised rehabilitation services: developing a whole systems model to deliver patient-focused care
- University College London Hospitals Foundation Trust – UCLH Prostate Cancer Team
- University Hospitals Bristol Foundation Trust – Green Impact plus
- West Hertfordshire Hospitals Trust – The hip fracture journey through the lives of Alice and Dorothy
Newcastle upon Tyne trust scoops three HSJ Awards
- Currently reading
HSJ Awards 2015: Most effective adoption and diffusion of best practice