University Hospitals of Coventry and Warwickshire Trust: Changing our workforce to improve service delivery in child screening for orthoptics in Warwickshire
The orthoptic department at University Hospitals of Coventry and Warwickshire Trust has redesigned its school vision screening service to see more children, reducing the time spent on administration and overall cost.
The service is seeing 30 extra children a day, expanding its geographical coverage and reaching more children in special needs schools.
The department worked with the trust’s system development team to automate processes including a bespoke website which could be used with external organisations allowing better sharing of information and improved collection of screening data.
Previously a paper-based system took more than 1,000 hours to update each year; this has been reduced to 375 which represents a saving of £17,610. There are ongoing improvements to processes, helped by techniques used by the Virginia Mason Institute, and regular audits.
The system is the only one of its kind in the country and may be adopted elsewhere.
- The Rotherham Foundation Trust: Advanced and Consultant AHP Practice Service Redesign – HIGHLY COMMENDED
- Cardiff and Vale University Health Board: Cardiff and Vale Walking Aids Partnership: Working together to benefit patients, staff and the wider Community
- Cornwall Partnership FT: Workforce Transformation Integration Sprints
- Cornwall Partnership FT: Developing a psychological workforce for now and the future
- Edge Health: Space Finder
- Health Education England – South regional intellectual disabilities workforce programme: Developing a sustainable and secure workforce supply
- Leeds North-Central and Pudsey Practices and Yorkshire Ambulance Service: Improving patient experience and workforce capacity by paramedic rotational working
- Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust with Holt Workforce Management: A Successful Trust and Agency Partnership: Cost, quality and compliance in temporary staffing
- The Rotherham FT: Nurse Led Ambulatory Care Team
Winners revealed for HSJ Value Awards 2019
- Currently reading
HSJ Value Awards 2019: Workforce efficiency award