Lancashire Care Foundation Trust: Improving value and patient safety through the creation of a team of specialised serious incident investigators
Lancashire Care FT set up an investigations and learning team, in response to concerns that the trust was not effectively learning from serious incidents. This central team now undertakes all trust serious incident investigations.
Its aim is to undertake impartial, high quality serious incident investigations, engaging and supporting all people involved, and to improve learning at the trust from these situations. The scheme is cost neutral, as it releases other staff from carrying out investigations, and team members undertook a post-graduate level course in serious incident investigation to improve their knowledge and skills.
Service users and their families who had been involved in serious incidents worked with the trust to select the staff members and helped develop story boards for staff training. The outcome has been high levels of satisfaction with investigations from patients, family and staff, and improved quality of investigations – the quality and honesty of them has been remarked on by various coroners. Learning bulletins are shared through the trust’s weekly staff briefings.
- Guy’s and St Thomas’ FT: Sustainable Actions delivering Valuable Efficiencies (SAVE) – engaging staff members with sustainability – HIGHLY COMMENDED
- AuditOne: Merger of Audit North, Northumberland Internal Audit & Fraud Services and Sunderland Internal Audit Services
- LGSS in partnership with Northamptonshire Healthcare FT: Using the LGSS Information Technology shared service model to reduce costs and improve quality in Northamptonshire
- Lincolnshire Community Health Services Trust: Operations Centre
- NHS Business Services Authority: NHS Loss Recovery Services
- University Hospitals Bristol FT – Library: Customized Evidence Updates for Over 45 Departments and Synthesised Literature Searches
Winners of 2018 HSJ Value Awards revealed
- Currently reading
HSJ Value Awards 2018: Improving the Value of NHS Support Services