The Great North Children’s Hospital, The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals Foundation Trust: The Kidzmed project - teaching children to swallow tablet medication
The Kidzmed project was a quality improvement project to teach children and young people how to take tablet medication.
Tablets are safer, more convenient and cheaper than liquid medications.
Children and young people often remain on liquids due to habit, reluctance to change or staff and parents’ lack of knowledge about switching to tablets.
In a short timeframe the project embedded a system of training and system change to convert children to tablet medication so improving families’ experiences of obtaining medication and realising considerable cost savings. The project leaders encourage all units to set up pill swallowing training for their patients.
Read a detailed case study about this project at HSJ Solutions
- Mid Essex CCG: Technology-enabled rapid access clinic for infants with Cow’s Milk Protein Allergy – HIGHLY COMMENDED
- Brighton and Hove CCG: A dietitian led medicines management team model of practice to address inappropriate oral nutritional supplement prescribing in primary care
- Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire CCG: The implementation and evaluation of a GP practice led centralised repeat prescription management hub in North Somerset
- Central London Community Healthcare Trust: Evaluation of clinical pharmacists in a community integrated multidisciplinary care model
- East of England Collaborative Procurement Hub: Parenteral Nutrition Framework
- East Sussex Healthcare Trust: Pharmacist Led Fast Track Biosimilar Switching
- Kettering General Hospital FT: Delivery Cycle Optimisation to Reduce Medicines Wastage in Homecare Services
- King’s College Hospital FT: Liver Transplant Pharmacy Service
- Manchester University FT: Pharmacy led peri-operative medicines optimisation: The Enhanced Surgical Medicines Optimisation Service (ESMOS)
- Wirral University Teaching Hospital FT: A Medicines Management Technician supporting Medicines Administration
- Central London Community Healthcare NHS Trust
- Children's services
- EAST SUSSEX HEALTHCARE NHS TRUST
- HSJ Awards
- KETTERING GENERAL HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- KING'S COLLEGE HOSPITAL NHS FT
- Manchester University Foundation Trust
- NHS Brighton and Hove CCG
- NHS Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire CCG
- NHS Mid Essex CCG
- THE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
- WIRRAL UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL NHS TRUST
Winners revealed for HSJ Value Awards 2020
- Currently reading
HSJ Value Awards 2020: Pharmacy and Medicines Optimisation Award