Salford Royal Foundation Trust: Salford polycystic kidney disease multidisciplinary clinic – pharmacy-led drug education and management
When a National Institute for Health and Care Excellence-approved treatment for polycystic kidney disease became available in 2015, Salford Royal FT set up specialist clinics and ensured patients had information to help them choose whether to access it.
The patients on the new treatment have seen much slower kidney function decline with 30 per cent stabilising or improving. This reduces the chance they will need dialysis or transplantation, offering significant savings to the NHS.
The trust identified around 300 PKD patients, spread over 16 clinics, by searching the electronic patient record. These were all moved to dedicated PKD clinics and given uniform information.
Data from the drug’s manufacturer suggested around 80 of these would be eligible and so far the trust has identified 86, 65 of whom have chosen to start treatment. Many patients have agreed to join research projects. The model of care has now been adopted in other units.
- East Sussex Healthcare Trust: Integrated clinic to reduce risky behaviours in the acute setting – HIGHLY COMMENDED
- Central London Community Healthcare Trust: Medicines Optimisation Pharmacy Services
- Chelsea Children’s Hospital: Paediatric Theatres: Benefits of intravenous anaesthesia in paediatric theatres
- Durham Dales, Easington and Sedgefield Clinical Commissioning Group and North Durham CCG: Reducing the use of opioids for persistent pain across County Durham
- Guildford and Waverley CCG and Royal Surrey County Hospital FT: DOACs Breaking the Bank!
- Midlands and Lancashire CSU: Polypharmacy review to improve patient care and reduce costs
- Redbridge CCG with Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals Trust and Barts Health Trust: Anticoagulation and Stroke Prevention
- Salford Royal FT part of the Northern Care Alliance Group: Prescribing pharmacist interventions on patients admitted via a Surgical Admissions Lounge (SAL)
- University Hospitals Bristol FT: Data Driven Patient Prioritisation
- Wirral University Teaching Hospitals FT and Primary Care Wirral: Integrated GP Clinical Pharmacist Service
Winners revealed for HSJ Value Awards 2019
- Currently reading
HSJ Value Awards 2019: Pharmacy and medicines optimisation award