Harrow PACT project: Planning together with care homes residents
Care home residents may be admitted to hospital at the end of life because their wishes are not known or staff feel ill-equipped to engage with advance care planning. This project offered training to care home staff to enable them to do this.
As part of the project, 482 people trained in advance care planning which led to increases in knowledge, skills and confidence around end of life. Fifty-two residents chose to make advance care plans.
One care home became the first nationally to access “Coordinate my Care,” a system which allows shared information about end of life wishes but has significant information governance requirements. Uptake of this across the Harrow Clinical Commissioning Group area rose by 162 per cent within the first two years of the project.
A pilot guide to help care home staff spot and deal with deterioration in accordance with residents’ wishes was also developed. Learning from the project has been spread widely through presentations and publications.
- REACHE Northwest: Refugee Medical Professionals Training Programme – HIGHLY COMMENDED
- Barts Health Trust: eCPD - Learning Made Simple
- British Heart Foundation Cymru Health Service Engagement Team in collaboration with University of South Wales: Collaborative education to improve patient care: Creating a foundation in counselling skills for healthcare professionals
- Central and North West London Foundation Trust: CNWL Virtual Street Triage
- Medway FT: Medical Training Initiative for Overseas-Trained Physicians
- Surrey and Borders Partnership FT: Suicide Prevention Through Training and Education
- Surrey and Sussex Healthcare Trust: Kaizen in Action
- The East Midlands Leadership Academy: Supporting Transformation Programme
- The Royal Orthopaedic Hospital FT: Birmingham Orthopaedic Network Education Platform
- West London Trust: Making Mandatory Meaningful
Winners revealed for HSJ Value Awards 2019
- Currently reading
HSJ Value Awards 2019: Training and development initiative of the year